March 15, 2019
Our most precious commodity is time—and our attention is a close second. That’s why everyone can use some help on how to tune out daily distractions. We compiled the following helpful tips from copyblogger.com to get you started on dialing down distractions:
- Go grayscale on your phone. Bright colors and fun graphics are the eye-candy that web and app developers use to keep us addicted to—and distracted by—our smartphones. Changing the visual display setting on your device to grayscale (at least on days where your time and attention are needed elsewhere) eliminates these visual rewards and reduces the distraction caused by your phone.
- Keep your content clean. Be intentional about what you read online, selecting only content that adds value. In addition to being choosy about content worthy of your attention, you should also take steps to remove distractions during your reading time by using an ad blocker.
- Have an unplugged place to explore and record your ideas. Stay focused by allotting some quality quiet time to brainstorm and write down your ideas. Consider carving out 15 minutes a week to close your office door and write down your goals, priorities and wishes.
- Streamline your physical environment to reduce mental clutter. Quiet, organized spaces are great for detail-oriented thinking, while ambient noise-rich venues like coffee shops tend to be better for big-picture thinking. Consider these facts the next time you are struggling to stay focused. A quick switch of locations or spending 10 minutes to declutter your office may be highly beneficial in dialing back distractions.
- Stay fresh with adequate sleep. It’s difficult if not impossible to stay focused for very long if you are exhausted. Experts agree that sleep deprivation (even at a moderate level) will adversely affect cognitive performance by impairing attention, decision-making, working memory and long-term memory. So, aim for at least seven to nine hours of sleep a night. If you must, you can get by on six hours—but not less!
Try implementing any or all of these tips to help preserve your time, attention and focus. When you do, you can reap the rewards of dialing down distractions on a daily basis.